PREPARATION TIME: 25 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1.5 kg / 3lb 5 oz lamb shoulder on the bone, trimmed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan) / 400F / gas6.
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic and fennel seeds, then smear the mixture over the lamb, massaging it into the meat with your hands.
- Line a roasting tray with greaseproof paper, then sit the lamb in the tray and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40 minutes, then reduce the oven to 180°C (160°C fan) / 350F/ gas 4. Baste the lamb with the balsamic vinegar and roast for a further 1 hour until the meat is golden brown and tender.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest, covered loosely with aluminium foil, for 15 minutes before serving.